Monday, March 25, 2013

Movie Review: The Call

Title: The Call
Running time: 94 minutes
Release date: March 15, 2013
Rating: R
Summary taken from IMDb:
When veteran 911 operator Jordan Turner receives a call from a girl who has just been abducted, she soon realizes that she must confront a killer from her past in order to save the girl's life.
4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED IT

MY REVIEW:

I immensely enjoyed myself while watching this movie. It was so, so gripping; I was on the edge of my seat for the majority of the movie.

This is what a thriller is supposed to be like. There's so much suspense, your eyes are literally glued to the screen, anticipating the next curveball thrown at you. And it's so intense that you can't look away for a second because even if you know that something gruesome is going to occur, you're still riveted to the screen. You can't look away. The killer is too twisted that you can't help but continue watch him.

However, since this movie was said to be a thriller, I did not expect it to have scary elements. Nothing popped out and spooked you, but there were many moments where the intense atmosphere was drawn out before something really bad happened. Like, my sister was freaking out every time the killer was about to do something, lol.

And the acting! Everyone was great! Halle Berry was an awesome lead. She conveyed Jordan's emotions so well and sincerely, it was really well done. Abigail Breslin, who played Casey Wilson, the abducted girl, also acted amazingly. I don't know if I would have acted as scared and hyperventilating as she did if I was ever abducted, but she did it superbly and realistically. And the killer was spot on creepy/crazy. His expressions, his actions, his everything screamed crazy lunatic, which was awesome. All of the other characters were also well played. No one's lines seem forced or awkward, which was good, or else the tense atmosphere would have been easily ruined.

The plot was also well done, although I wonder about the ending. Like, did they really go through with it or... I guess we'll never know unless they make a sequel. But overall, the plot was pretty flawless. I couldn't think of many plotholes, although that may be because I was so absorbed in watching everything play out. And it really makes me wonder how killers think, especially after reading I Hunt Killers and Game by Barry Lyga only just recently.

Overall, I really liked the movie. If you like thrillers or even horror movies, this is a great movie for you. Or just watch it if you like watching completely immersing movies that grabs and keeps your attention from the get-go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment