Thursday, March 14, 2013

Book Review: Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1) by Lisa Desrochers

Title: Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
Author: Lisa Desrochers
Pages: 365
Publication: January 1, 2010
Publisher: Tor Teen
Summary taken from goodreads:
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.  
What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul. 
But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.
3.5 STARS - I LIKED IT ENOUGH

MY REVIEW: 

After hearing so many praises for this trilogy, I'm still confused as to why I didn't enjoy it as much as my friends did. It might have been because of my high expectations or it could have been because I'm starting to get really tired of love triangles no matter how well-played they are or it could just be because of the frame of mind I was in while reading this book.

I think it was a combination of all three.

My friends really liked the trilogy and kept on telling me to read it since it was so good, which was ironic because I'm the bookworm of the group and I had yet to read the one book that they really enjoyed. And I could totally see why they liked PERSONAL DEMONS so much.

Frannie was an awesome character. She could defend herself both mentally and physically. She had her strengths and she had her faults. And even though she was special, she wasn't a complete Mary Sue.

Luc was definitely interesting. Reading about both his and Frannie's personal growth was really amazing, and while Gabriel didn't play as huge of a part as Luc did, he was still essential to the plot. However...I still didn't like the love triangle between them all.

I mean, yeah, I can see Frannie's indecision since she had an angel and a demon both after her heart for their own reasons... but still. I think I wasn't that interested because I knew that she was going to spend most of the book torn between having to choose someone. I was proven wrong, because she actually did choose someone, but the other one is still around, and this is a trilogy so. Enough said.

But the plot was definitely original. It didn't have any surprising plot twists, but it diverge from my original expectations of the storyline, and the ending part was also unexpected.

I would like to say that I wasn't in the right frame of mind for reading this kind of book when I started because I was more in the mood for something action-y, but I would be lying because PERSONAL DEMONS did have plenty of action and suspense in it. I guess the love triangle turned me off. I think I didn't want to read anything that focused so heavily on love at the time, which was why I zipped through Darren Shan's ZOM-B so quickly in between reading this book. Or it could be that I'm finally slowly becoming disinterested with paranormal romance now since it has been a while since I've read any.

I don't know. College has made it difficult to find time to read when all you want to do is laze around and watch YouTube videos in your free time. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment