Saturday, March 16, 2013

Dusty Reads: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Dusty Reads is a weekly post featuring a book that has been sitting unread on my home shelf for some time.


Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Pages: 231
Publication: December 28, 2006
Publisher: Speak
Summary taken from goodreads:
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. 
After. Nothing is ever the same.
I read PAPER TOWNS by John Green around two years ago and really liked it. This was when I first got into book blogging and did not know just how great of an author he is in the community, so I was surprised to find so many blogs proclaiming their love towards John Green as I got more involved in book blogging.

And...I don't know. I knew that I should read his other books, but I never had the money or time to go the library to read his other books or I never was in the deep contemporary mood to ever want to read his books. And I guess all of the hype towards his books also detracted me from reading them because of my high expectations. For a while now, a lot of the overly hyped books that I've read have turned out to be a disappointment. Most of them weren't bad, but they weren't as great as I expected them to be. So I'm afraid that my expectations of all of John Green's books are so high that I will inevitably be let down once I read them.

I'm hoping that all of my friends are right and that I will absolutely love them once I do get around to reading them though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment