Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Review: Cloaked by Alex Flinn

Title: Cloaked
Author: Alex Flinn
Pages: 341
Publication:
Publisher: HarperTeen
Summary taken from goodreads:
I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.

It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.

There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.

Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.
4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED IT

MY REVIEW:

After reading Beastly (the only other book that I've read from this author) and enjoying it, I wanted to see how she would spin another modern fairtytale remake. In Cloaked, I was surprised to find that it contained not only one fairytale, but seven. Some tales I had already known, and some that I've never heard of.

But in the end, Alex Flinn has proven herself, yet again, that she can write any fairytale.

Incorporating many fairytales, Cloaked had many subplots and characters that drove the plot forward into an amazing -- if slightly predictable -- ending with a twist thrown in right near the end when you're expecting the happily ever after.

The writing style was fluid and easy, and it was told from a boy's point of view, which was kind of refreshing since it's becoming rare to find a male protagonist in YA books lately.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to fairytale and adventure lovers of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment