Saturday, May 21, 2011

School's Over, Reading Roll, DNF, & Summer Assignments

Yesterday was my last day of school as a junior since I don't have to take any of my finals next week! Woot! That means that I get a few extra days to chill while my lil bro and cousins still have to go to school.

I will be chilling just like this. :L
But man, I still can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I am now considered a senior. O__O

Seriously, where has the time gone? I can't believe that it's already been a couple of years since I moved here and started going to HOCO as a freshman. ~(-__-)~

Anyway, since I didn't really have anything to do besides a math re-test this week, I have been on a reading roll. Actually, I think I got into the reading groove sometime last week, but it didn't really manifest until last weekend when I read 5-7 books. Granted, half of the books were manhwa, but still. :P

Also, for some reason, over the weekend, I had this urge to read some light chiclit books, so I had a small pile of pink books on my pile of TBR books on my bed headboard thinger. I'm almost finished with the pile.

I already finished reading Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs, Just One Wish by Janette Rallison, Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty by Jody Gehrman, and its sequel, Triple Shot Bettys in Love. I just have Winter Longing by Tricia Mills left to read, but I'm not sure if I want to read it anymore since it sounds kind of sad and depressing...



Now that I think about it, I think I was mainly looking for some light, funny books to read since it was the end of the school year; I didn't want to read some heavy, convoluted story since it would prolly bring me down from my school-is-almost-over high that I'd been having all week. -__-"

Also, I'm finally sticking to my promise to re-read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins before I can finally read Mockingjay, which I've had since sitting in a TBR pile for a whole year.


I just finished re-reading The Hunger Games earlier today, and I'm happy to know that I'm still pretty much in love with it as when I first read it two years ago. I mean, seriously, how could you not love Peeta and Katniss. They're friggin AWESOME. And Peeta's so adorable~ XD

However, while I've been reading some really awesome books lately, there were also a couple of books that I couldn't get into and had to label as Did Not Finish (DNF).

I started reading The Angels are the Reapers by Alden Bell, which is a dystopian read, but I couldn't get into it. The writing style was definitely different, one that I didn't particularly enjoy reading.

I couldn't get into Adios, Nirvana by Conrad Wesselhoeft for the same reason as The Angels are the Reapers. The book was definitely intended for guys and the writing style was one that I could usually tolerate, but I could already tell how the book would end, so I quickly grew bored after a few pages and decided to quit.

When I started reading my ARC of Sweetly by Jackson Pearce earlier last week when I got it, the storyline was definitely interesting --a remake of Hansel and Gretel!-- but I the book couldn't interest me the more pages I read. The characters and plot wasn't very original, so I decided that it would be a DNF later that night.

I started reading Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn at school earlier this week, but the story didn't really interest me enough to want to finish the book, which is saying a lot since I LOVE dragons.

The story wasn't particularly bad [I skipped to the end after I decided to not finish the book and read the resolution], but I think that the main reason why I lost interest so quickly was because that I was expecting there to be more action in it, which was what I was looking for when I picked the book up. Plus, I had just finished watching How to Train Your Dragon in AP Bio earlier that week (which was awesomely cute!) which was full of action and amazingness, so I think that the slow plot of the book also made me lose interest.

None of the books that I marked as DNF were bad, I'm pretty sure that I might have enjoyed them if I were to read them at another time. But, since I have so many books to read and so little time, I don't have time --nor do I want to-- to force myself into finishing a book if I'm not enjoying it. They just aren't the type of books that I was looking for to read at the time.

The other day, I had to stay after school to write an essay for AP Lit so that my teacher could get a feel for what her upcoming students' writing would be like. I also got a sheet with summer assignments. Not only do I have to read How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Tomas C. Foster, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, and A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines, and take lots of detailed notes on all of them according to the guidelines that my teacher has also given us on the paper, but I have to read even more books and poems over the summer since I didn't take Brit Lit. D:


Also, my teach gave a list of books that we are going to be reading during the year and a list of books that we will probably have to read as individual or group projects, so I have a lot to read over the summer. Luckily, a lot of classics were on sale at Books-A-Million for only $3. You can see all of the books that I bought for AP Lit tomorrow on my IMM.

I forgot to mention that my class has to watch The Dead Poets Society, too, which is awesome since I had already watched it last year with Shelle and loved. I bought the DVD a while ago since I knew that I would have to watch it for AP Lit anyway. That, and cuz I wanted a copy of the movie for myself anyway. :D

So now, I have to bring a couple of the assigned books to Vietnam to read since I have so many books to read and half of my summer will be over there. But, I'm still planning on bringing some of my own YA books to read over there; I just have to cut the number in half since I won't be able to bring so many books along with my required AP books. 

Man, it's a good thing that I don't have any summer assignments for AP Calc. :)

Okay, so this is pretty random, but I just tried a bottle of Lipton Sparkling Strawberry Kiwi Green Tea, and I am confounded. Why is it carbonated? It tastes like a mellower version of a strawberry kiwi soda! That's like the direct opposite of what green tea is supposed to be! o__O

I think I prefer Lipton's normal green tea drinks. :P

Lol, since I had finished reading both of my books while babysitting earlier, I watched High School Musical and High School Musical 2 with my cousins. I can't belive that HSM came out in 2006. That was five years ago!


Started watching the third one until Henry's mom came home. I think I prefer the first movie out of all of them. Maybe because that was the first one. IDK. :P

Speaking of movies, I'm going to watch I Am Number Four with a couple of my friends tomorrow at the dollar movie theater. The book was pretty decent, but I heard that a lot of people liked the movie, so I figured why not? And we're most likely going to watch Limitless or something else afterwards. Can't wait!


Anyway, that's all for now!

See ya laters~


pointy.star

No comments:

Post a Comment