Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Pages: 256
Expected publication: January 2, 2012
Publisher: Poppy
Summary taken from goodreads:
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything? 
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
3.5 STARS - I LIKED IT

MY REVIEW:

It took one second for the title to catch my attention.

It took two minutes for the summary and excerpt and general design of the ARC to make me want to read it.

It took three hours for me to read three-fourths of the book, sacrificing hours of sleep that I really needed.

I wish that I could say that it took me four days to read the book to make it parallel to everything else I had just written, but I'd be lying since I finished reading it in just a couple of hours. :P

Anyway, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is a great contemporary read that was just the book that I needed to help distract me from my general meh-ness of being sick. I was able to easily forget about my stuffy nose and random coughs while I read about Hadley and her crazy 24-hour experience, mainly in the company of a charming Brit named Oliver.

I really liked all of the characters. Even though they all have their faults (Hadley with her anger, Oliver with his illusions of being okay, Hadley's dad for what he did). you can empathize with them so well because, honestly, given the circumstances, they could be you or someone you know. They're real.

The plot was pretty predictable, but you should have realized that from reading the title alone. However, the author's writing style more than makes up for it. The writing is flowing and beautiful, and it adds to the depth of the story, to the bittersweet moments that makes this book more than just a quick, fluffy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment