Friday, May 31, 2013

Book Review: Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society #2) by Ally Carter

Title: Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society #2)
Author: Ally Carter
Pages: 298
Publication: June 21, 2011
Publisher: Lothian
Summary taken from goodreads:
Kat Bishop: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. Or simply, the girl who robbed the greatest museum in the world... 
Now she's been asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners. 
Trouble is, not only is the gem elusive - it's cursed. 
Kat might be in way over her head but help is at hand. She enlists the gorgeous Hale and the rest of the crew from Heist Society on a heart-stopping round-the-world search. 
But this time, Kat - who knows every trick and con in the book - is making up her own rules.
4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED IT

MY REVIEW:

When I first read HEIST SOCIETY, I was kind of put off by its dramatic writing style. However, after reading UNCOMMON CRIMINALS, I've grown used to it and realized that it fits the story well. The dramatic tone ups the anticipation and suspense of the cons, and as I keep forgetting, fifteen year-old girls can be quite dramatic, even if they are genius thieves. So yeah, I think that the writing style actually made the book even better.

In addition to the characters, of course. Kat is complicated. She doesn't want to be a thief, but she keeps on reclaiming stolen objects back to their rightful owners. And she's smart, but she doesn't realize that she's hurting everyone around her by doing cons by herself. But like in any book, she goes through some character growth that made her see her mistakes, and it's all good.

Hale is trickier to understand. I mean, it's obvious that he likes Kat and is willing to do anything for her, but it is so hard to picture him as a fifteen year-old with the way that he acts. He's mysterious and hot and knows how to play the wealthy charmer when he needs to, and that is so hard to imagine for a for someone who could be a high school freshmen.

The plot was even trickier than the first book, with many cons taking place around the world, which took the suspense and amped it up even further, thus making the book a quick page-turner. Seriously, I ended up finishing the book in a couple of hours instead of doing homework since I was glued to the story. I kept on telling myself that I would stop reading after a couple of chapters, and before I knew it, two hours had passed.

I definitely liked UNCOMMON CRIMINALS, if not more than I liked HEIST SOCIETY, so if you liked the first book enough, I recommend you read its sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment