Monday, August 26, 2013

Dusty Reads: The Red Necklace (French Revolution #1) by Sally Gardner

Dusty Reads is a weekly post featuring a book that has been sitting unread on my home shelf for some time.


Title: The Red Necklace (French Revolution #1)
Author: Sally Gardner
Pages: 371
Publication: October 4, 2007
Publisher: Dial Books
Summary taken from goodreads:
The story of a remarkable boy called Yann Margoza; Tetu the dwarf, his friend and mentor; Sido, unloved daughter of a foolish Marquis; and Count Kalliovski, Grand Master of a secret society, who has half the aristocracy in thrall to him, and wants Yann dead. Yann is spirited away to London but three years later, when Paris is gripped by the bloody horrors of the Revolution, he returns, charged with two missions: to find out Kalliovski's darkest deeds and to save Sido from the guillotine. With a tangle of secrets, a thread of magic and a touch of humour, the follies of the aristocracy and the sufferings of ordinary people are unfolded as their lives move relentlessly towards the tragic and horrific days of the Terror. THE RED NECKLACE is not only a tremendous adventure story but a vibrant and passionate picture of Paris in turmoil and of a large cast of memorable characters.
When I was in middle school, I read I, Coriander, which is another book by the author. I absolutely loved it. That book was just so great and awesome, and I remember rereading it at least twice because I loved it so much and didn't want to leave that world and its characters so soon--the book was that good.

When I found out that Gardner had written some other books, I immediately bought them without really looking at the summary, lol. I'm not a huge historical fan, but I am a fan of her writing, which is why I am slightly ashamed for still having not read this book and its sequel since I bought them a few years ago. -__-"

I meant to read this book some time this summer, but since it's almost over... I don't really know when I'll have the time anymore. :\

No comments:

Post a Comment