Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie #1) by Jordan Sonnenblick


Title: Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie #1)
Author: Jordan Sonnenblick
Pages: 304
Publication: January 1, 2004
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Summary taken from goodreads: 
From first-time novelist Jordan Sonnenblick, a brave and beautiful story that will make readers laugh and break their hearts at the same time.Thirteen-year-old Steven has a totally normal life: he plays drums in the All-Star Jazz band, has a crush on the hottest girl in the school, and is constantly annoyed by his five-year-old brother, Jeffrey. But when Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia, Steven's world is turned upside down. He is forced to deal with his brother's illness and his parents' attempts to keep the family in one piece. Salted with humor and peppered with devastating realities, DRUMS, GIRLS, AND DANGEROUS PIE is a heartwarming journey through a year in the life of a family in crisis.
5 STARS - IT WAS AMAZING

MY REVIEW: 

I don't think I'm even capable of expressing how much I love this book. 

This is my third time rereading Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, and so far, it's still the only book that has ever made me cry; believe me, I was wiping away stray tears for about half of the time I was reading it. When I wasn't busy blinking back tears, I was laughing because Steven and Jeffrey were so honest and funny and sincere, and I couldn't believe how quickly I could go from sniffling to snorting because of those to guys.

You know, even before I had finished rereading this book, I was already outlining how to write this amazing review for it, because, honestly, I think everyone should read this book. It deals with a heavy topic, but it does it in such a heartbreaking yet hilarious way that just gets to you, no matter how old you are. 

I first read this book the summer before I started high school and loved it. My freshmen year, I suggested this book as a part of our class book club, and all of my friends ended up really loving it. Now I'm reading it as a senior in high school, and I'm still insanely in love with the characters, the humor, the message, and the writing.

But yeah, everything that I had planned to write about completely flew out of my head, and I just can't seem to think of anything else to say except: READ THIS BOOK. and WARNING: This book may induce tears, so have tissues nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment