Friday, October 5, 2012

October is Anti-Bullying Month

Bullying is ubiquitous, especially in school. I know that middle and high school can be hell depending on where you live, and I wish that I could just say "It'll get better!" or "You'll be alright."

But I can't. While it might be true for many people, there are those exceptions where bullying gets even worse because of your gender or your orientation or your race or anything. Bullying occurs because people think that others are different, that because they don't conform, they are not one of them.

There are many reasons why people are bullied. I wish I could get into all of it, but I get so mad thinking about--everything. Why people stay silent while others are being terrorized, authorities looking the other way while bullying takes place in the name of team spirit, the countless amount of cyberbullying taking place because the internet creates autonomy.

Reading about extreme cases of bullying makes me want to give up on humanity. But then I see people who rise above bullying, who are confident about themselves, who try to make a difference, and I don't think that the world isn't totally hopeless.



"We are better than that email. We are better than the bullies that will try to take us down."

That is all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment