Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Review: The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan

Title: The 100 (The Hundred #1)
Author: Kass Morgan
Pages: 277
Publication: September 3, 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Summary taken from goodreads: 
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late. 
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.
3 STARS - I LIKED IT ENOUGH

MY REVIEW: 

I really liked the beginning where everyone's dark secrets were slowly brought up. It was a great way to hook readers in, and the slow revealing of secrets made the book equally compelling and hard to put down even with it's rather slow pace.

However, I had a few problems with the book. At first, I thought that the frequent flashbacks in every chapter were a little annoying, but before I knew it, I grew used to and started expecting them to occur whenever there was a scene change. Also, I grew really tired of Glass and Luke's relationship; there's only so much lovey dovey ooey gooeyness that I can take when you don't even really see how or why they go together so well.

I was also disappointed with the 100 kids sent back on Earth. I expected something like LORD OF THE FLIES: a slow anarchy that has them reverting to their true base natures. Instead, I only read about relationships. I mean, come on! There was so much potential with a character like Graham there!

Most of the characters bothered me. Sure, I sympathized with most of them, but they're all so self-absorbed that they don't care about anyone but themselves or their significant others to the point that everyone around them gets hurt because of it.

Even with all of these negatives, I did like the writing and the setup or else I would have felt thoroughly disappointed with the book. In addition, the ending wasn't a bad place to leave off with, although I felt like it wasn't that shocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment