Monday, May 9, 2022

Left My Job

It's such an odd, bittersweet feeling leaving your job. This was my first serious corporate job. I've had summer internships in the past before, but I knew that they were only for a few months. Meanwhile, I've been with this company for four years. That's a long time to get to know so many people and the business.

Saying goodbye and handing over my projects for the past few weeks has been crazy. I didn't even know how to tell people the news at first. Other people would tell everyone else before I could! Lol, I didn't have a chance to tell my team in our weekly team meeting because Michael joined the call late and thought that I had already announced the news! My manager had just told him the news in an earlier one-on-one call after I told her I was leaving!

But once I got used to saying announcing my news, it became a lot easier to tell everyone. I was also reaching out to friends in the company who I hadn't talked to in a while because we don't work together, and it was nice catching up and hearing about all of their news, too. 

I think the pandemic definitely made it harder for us to connect, but it's nice to know that we still got along just as usual two years later. And so much happened in between! I found out that one of my coworkers was about to illegally visit his family in Brazil because it was taking so long to get the visa paperwork done with the embassies. Luckily, everything went through on time, so he was able to travel legally lol. I also found out that my other coworker started her own luxury candle company last year and also had a baby at the same time! It's crazy!

I turned in my laptop and phone the other week, and it kind of felt surreal. Driving to the company was normal since I've been doing it for so long, but just dropping off my equipment felt like I lost a part of my identity. Even now, I keep on saying "we" when I mention anything about the company or airline news lol.

I'm sad to leave the people, but I'm excited to start my new job. I've been meeting with my new manager for the past few weeks to get to know more about the company and the onboarding process, and I really like what I've seen so far! 

Today is my first day at the new job. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment