Thursday, October 27, 2022

SEPT: Korean Spa, Filipino Pop Ups, San Fran Trip, Covid, Recovery

September was a wild ride. If you’ve already read my San Fran Trip post, then you’ll already know just how busy last month was lol.

But first, Alec and I started off the month by choosing to have a relaxing weekend by going to Spa Land in the morning. It was Alec’s first time, so I was excited to share the experience with him. Since he loves the heat, he tried out all of the saunas and could, unsurprisingly, handle the temperature in all of them. We also ate brunch there and rested a bit before going shopping.

Alec needed to get some winter comforters, so we stopped by TJ Maxx and Marshalls to look for comforters, and I ended up buying some work clothes as well. Then, we went home and continued to be relaxed bums and watch anime lol.

The next weekend, there was a Filipino pop up featuring So Sarap, Kamayan, and a bakery. We wanted to try it since it’s hard to find Filipino skewers in GA and because Kamayan was opening its restaurant soon, so we wanted to try their entrees. We arrived an hour after opening, and man, the line was SO LONG.

We basically waited 2.5 hours in line in the occasional rain to get our food. It was crazy. Luckily, we didn’t arrive hungry, or else we’d be starving lol. We found out while in line that the holdup was because some people ordered like 80+ skewers, which was outrageous. But you know what, the food was amazing and worth the wait lol.

The next week, Carina and I drove over to Alec’s house after work on Tuesday because we were going to carpool to the airport the next morning. You can read our whole adventure here.

That night when we got home, Archana texted us that her boyfriend tested positive for Covid and that she was already showing symptoms, so to be on the lookout for anything. The next day, I was super tired, which I thought was normal because we definitely walked a lot during our trip and didn’t sleep much. I thought my body was making up for all of that missing sleep. But the next morning, I woke up with a sore throat.

Everything went downhill after that. We went to get a PCR test and were waiting for the results. In the meantime, Alec started feeling symptoms a day after me. We had coughs, congestion, phlegm, chills, weakness, and chills. Throughout the span of a few days. At one point, I was so cold that my fingers were going numb. They felt better after I ate dinner though lol. It just didn’t make sense.

Alec got his PCR results back as negative even though he definitely had symptoms, while I still didn’t get my results even though we took the test at the same time at CVS. In the meantime, we took two rapid tests to see if Alec was still negative and to see what my results were. Alec was still negative, but my tests almost immediately showed that I was positive, so we think Alec was just a day behind me on his results. Especially because he took another rapid test the next day and was finally positive lol. My PCR results came back later that night and said that I was positive. Surprise surprise lol.

Since we got the results, we knew that we would need to quarantine at Alec’s house. That meant that I needed to pick up some stuff from my house. I had to video call Shelle to show her where to get all of my stuff, and she gave us more medicine and food as well. They left everything on the front porch for us to have no contact.

After I had a nap and dinner, my chills finally went away, and I felt better, so we drove to my house. However, Alec started getting a fever while we were driving, so it was a quick trip to grab everything and go because he was feeling really bad that night. He ended up having a 101 degree fever. The symptoms really hit him hard after that. He had a fever for a few days and was coughing a lot.

Because I had a history of childhood asthma, I was eligible for Paxlovid, so I started taking those pills. It was like antibiotics. You had to take three pills in the morning and at night every day for five days straight. One of the side effects was that you could have an altered sense of taste. Some people will have a metallic taste. I didn’t think the side effects would be that bad when the doctor explained it to me. What a fucking lie.


I was about to vomit with how metallic and bitter the taste was in the beginning. It starts off at the back of your throat and slowly permeates your entire mouth with bitterness. It was so gross. I couldn’t even taste food for the first couple of bites because the bitter taste was so strong. Only cough drops and drinking ginger ale could suppress the taste for a while. I even woke up at 4am because of how bitter my mouth was. That was the most disgusting side effect I’ve ever had from taking medicine. I looked it up, and only 16% of people experience this side effect. I guess I was just lucky lmao.

However, I started feeling better after taking Paxlovid. I had significantly less coughs and phlegm. After I finished my medication, those were the only symptoms left. Because it was hard to have a conversation without coughing my lungs out, I didn’t come back into the office for a few weeks and worked remotely instead.

I also finally tested negative using a rapid test, while Alec was a day behind me and was positive until the next day. I think this was around 10 days after showing the first symptoms.

Anyway, at least Alec and I were finally able to go home at the end of the month and see Luna lol. So yeah, September was wild! 

No comments:

Post a Comment