Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Mini Reviews: Really, Really Miss You; The Icy Hero is Yearning for Love; The Bride Was a Boy

Title: Really, Really Miss You
Author: Mo Bao Fei Bao
Chapters: 53 chapters + epilogue
Publication: 2013
Summary from Novel Updates:
Our male and female lead are in the online entertainment circle, he on the dubbing side and she on the music cover side. The circle is one where physical appearance is generally anonymous and you are known by your online handle and your voice. Gu Sheng, a relatively unknown online singer who goes by the handle Sheng Sheng Man and who specializes in cover songs of ancient-style music, is a huge fan of Qiang Qing Ci, a very famous and well-loved CV (character voice) artist (i.e. dubber, voiceover artist). It was like, love at first listen.

One morning, she was chatting with a friend in her online “room” when his voice suddenly appeared in her headset, describing to her in detail how to prepare a food dish she had been talking about. This began their online chats about food. Gu Sheng can scarcely believe that she is talking to her idol, and he seems to be trying to progress the relationship further.
2.5 STARS - I LIKED IT ENOUGH

MY REVIEW: 

When I read this book, I didn't know that this was written by the same author as Honey Stewed Squid, which I read earlier this year. It wasn't until I made that connection that I realized how similar the main characters were. They both are popular in their own niche areas, are shy, and get easily embarrassed. However, the main difference between them is that while Tong Nian chases her guy in Honey Stewed Squid, Gu Sheng is the one chased in this book. That's why if you like Honey Stewed Squid, you'll probably like this book.

Even though I understand her feelings, I still didn't really like how shy and passive Gu Sheng was with her idol. Like, it really took everyone around her to tease and push her to spend time with Qiang Qing Ci because she would be immobilized with embarrassment every time. 

However, I liked how all of their friends tease them about their relationship throughout the book because it was pretty amusing and realistic. 

I tried to read Easily Set Aflame a while ago but got bored of it after a while because I was tired of how passive and embarrassed the female lead was. I think this is a common theme with most of the author's books, which is why after reading one or two of her books is enough for me. However, if you like any of her books, you'll probably like this one as well.


Title: The Icy Hero is Yearning for Love
Author: Momose Wasabi
Chapters: 13 chapters + 7 extras
Publication: 2019
Summary from Novel Updates:
The tavern owner’s son, Ilya, often experienced the same dream. A dream in which he played in the village orphanage with his childhood friend, a boy whose appearance resembled an angel’s. A dream where he made soap with olives and soup with leftover vegetables. But the moment Ilya laid eyes on the picture of the “Icy Hero,” he realized that those dreams weren’t dreams at all; rather those were the memories of his past life. Most importantly, that “Icy Hero,” Riley, wasn’t angelic anymore?!

3.5 STARS - I LIKED IT

MY REVIEW: 

I started reading this book because I was looking for a short book to read so that I could finish it quickly and not be distracted reading it during the work week, so I didn't have much expectations when I started reading it. Plus, it's been a while since I read a Japanese novel, so I knew the writing style would be different from the Chinese novels I've read lately.

The writing style really fit the book's tone. It's mainly from Ilya's POV, which was pure and sincere. It made the angst even more painful. I wasn't expecting the angst (the summary did not prepare me!), but it gave the characters more dimension and really emphasized the long lasting impact of consequences and guilt.

Overall, I highly recommend this book if you're looking for something quick but impactful.


Title: The Bride Was a Boy
Author: Chii
Pages: 158
Publication: 2018
Summary from Goodreads:

The heartwarming transgender love story, based on true events!

Drawn in the style of diary comics with an upbeat, adorable flair, this is a charming tale about Chii, a woman assigned male at birth. Her story starts with her childhood and follows the ups and downs of exploring her sexuality, gender, and transition--as well as falling in love with a man who’s head over heels for her. Now they want to get married, so Chii’s about to embark on a new adventure: becoming a bride! 

3 STARS - I LIKED IT

MY REVIEW: 

This was a really cute, autobiographical book about a trans girl's life story from her childhood to her marriage. The art style is really cute, Chii's really cute, her husband's cute...everyone's cute! It was so fluffy and soft and informational that I was just very happy that she was happy by the time I finished the book.

I think life is already hard as it is; you already know that being trans (or any gender identity or sexuality different from cis het) is difficult. Instead of focusing on those negative points, Chii chose to focus on her self love and love from her family and husband to show that even though it's tough figuring things out and being different from society, you also have a place in it surrounded with people who love you just like any other person on Earth.

In between every chapter, she goes over a lot of informational, educational content like the harmful effects of certain diagnostic terms, sexual reassignment surgery, and how certain laws prevent people from getting married or a surgery.

All in all, it's a very cute, informational book. I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment