Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Webnovel Review: You're My Glory by Gu Man

Title:
 You're My Glory
Author: Gu Man
Chapters: 37 chapters + 16 epilogues
Publication: 2017
Summary from Novel Updates: 
Actress Qiao Jing Jing has one month to get her gaming skills up to the level her publicist has claimed she has.

Turns out, her high school crush is an expert.
4 STARS - I REALLY LIKED IT

MY REVIEW: 

Since I've been reading so many webnovels recently, I thought I'd review some of my recent favs!

This is by the same author who wrote A Slight Smile is Very Charming, which was adapted into a cdrama called Love 020. I've read a couple of her other works before, too, and liked them, so I had high expectations for this book when I found out that it was recently finished being translated. And I was not wrong; I really enjoyed this book!

First of all, even though I don't play mobile games like the one described in the book, I was still really invested in the training arc! It was still exciting and interesting learning about different characters and how to play them. The banter between the main characters as they played also made the setting cute and playful.

The novel is set up around the game competition, so of course it had to be interesting. I was ready to see her put her newly acquired skills to use, and it was so exciting! I was glued to the screen reading everything and could not stop reading until around 4 in the morning because it was so good! Her banter with the MC and her teammates were also hilarious.

The main characters really sold it though. Qiao Jingjing is confident but classy. She's also silly and likes to take aesthetic photos and likes to make petty revenge and go on diets when necessary for her job. It's hard to find a realistic portrayal of someone, let alone a celebrity, like this. Meanwhile, Yu Tu is super smart and driven, but because he didn't follow the obvious rich path, people looked down on him. After a while, he becomes indecisive over his career path because one path is his passion but the other is financial stability, and it's not until he reunites with Qiao Jingjing that he slowly decides on his future. I also really liked how he has many instances where he feels inferior to Qiao Jingjing and isn't sure if he deserves to be with her because that's also realistic and rare to find in webnovels where the male lead has a weakness like this.

The extras were really good, too! They definitely give you a lot of closure and cute excerpts of their interactions while dating.

Overall, I really enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment