Friday, June 12, 2020

APRIL: Google Hangouts, Dalgona Coffee, Bonus, Stimulus Checks, Parents' Visit

April was a pretty chill month as everyone adjusted to quarantine life lol.

My girlfriends and I had a Google Hangouts call the first Friday to catch up. We got to have a virtual house tour of Shanice and Josh's new apartment in DC. They had just moved there right when Covid hit in March. We also got to see everyone's pets, which is always nice. It was nice to see everyone and joke around lol.

That weekend, while Shelle was inspired to bake French baguettes, I was inspired to try the viral Dalgona coffee trend since I knew we had some instant coffee on hand. This is a popular way to make super fluffy coffee that originated in Korea. You basically mix instant coffee, hot water, and sugar until it becomes a whipped texture like whipped cream. Then, you put it in a cup that's 3/4 full of milk, mix it up, and drink it. A lot of people do mix it by hand, but it takes a lot of time to do that. 

Shelle told me to try our NutriBullet since it's essentially a small blender, but it didn't work. I was also using this Korean instant coffee that we have that also includes milk in it, so we later found out after using a hand mixer that it wouldn't work either way. Luckily, we also had instant espresso from Korea, so it finally worked! It was just way too strong lol. 

The next time we went to the store, we ended up buying some more instant coffee so we could make it again. After we made it again when our parents came up to visit later that month, I realized yet again that I'm not a coffee drinker lol. It's just fun to make it. :D

Nothing much happened during the first couple of weeks in April. However, I got my first bonus from work! Even with Covid happening, our CEO said that our company would still give us our bonuses since they were for our hard work in 2019, which was super nice to hear. Since I was still an intern until May last year, I didn't get the full bonus, but it was still quite a bit of money after taxes, so I was happy.

The same day we got our bonuses, the government's stimulus checks came as well! Since I filed my taxes online, I got the stimulus check as a deposit in my bank account. It was a pleasant shock logging into my bank account that Wednesday and seeing how much money was deposited there. To celebrate my bonus, I offered to pay for dinner that night, but we were all busy with work, so I didn't get to properly celebrate until the weekend when we ordered Japanese food lol.


That weekend, the parents came up to visit. They even brought up a bunch of food to make hotpot lol. Shelle made French baguettes the night before and instead showed the parents how she was making macaroons while I made them Dalgona coffee lol. 

It was a fun weekend. We even watched the new Ip Man 4: The Finale movie that recently came out in our theater room. Dad's been asking to watch it for a while now, but it hadn't come out in DVD until recently. It was a good movie that definitely emphasized racism against the Chinese back in the day, but it also made it hard for me to watch at times.

That's about it. Unlike March, April surprisingly flew by pretty quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment