Saturday, February 5, 2011

A Light in the Attic

Yesterday, I finally finished reading A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein, and I loved it! It's such a great, humorously creative book of poems! The poems all tell a unique story, some whimsical, some blunt, and some so wacky that you wonder how he came up with it! :D


There were so many poems that I liked, but I'm only going to share a few of them. :D

The first one that immediately got my attention was coincidentally the first poem in the book, which is also where it got its title! 
A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC

There's a light on in the attic.
Though the house is dark and shuttererd,
I can see a flickerin' flutter,
And I know what it's about.
There's a light on in the attic.
I can see it from the outside,
And I know you're on the inside . . . lookin' out.

I really love the first stanza of this poem:
MOON-CATCHIN' NET

I've made me a moon-catchin' net,
And I'm goin' huntin' tonight,
I'll run along swingin' it over my head,
And grab for that big ball of light.

So Tomorrow just look at the sky,
And if there's no moon you can bet
I've found what I sought and I finally caught
The moon in my moon-catchin' net.

But if the moon's still shinin' there,
Look close underneath and you'll get
A clear look at me in the sky swingin' free
With a star in my moon-catchin' net.

I feel like doing this whenever I don't want to do the dishes. XD
HOW NOT TO HAVE
TO DRY THE DISHES

If you have to dry the dishes
(Such an awful, boring chore)
If you have to dry the dishes
('Stead of going to the store)
If you have to dry the dishes
And you drop one on the floor--
Maybe they won't let you
Dry the dishes anymore.

This is genius.
ATIONS

If we meet and I say, "Hi,"
That's a salutation.
If you ask me how I feel,
That's consideration.
If we stop and talk awhile,
That's a conversation.
If we understand each other,
That's communication.
If we argue, scream and fight,
That's an altercation.
If later we apologize,
That's reconciliation.
If we help each other home,
That's cooperation.
And all these ations add up
Make civilization.

(And if I say this is a wonderful poem,
Is that exaggeration?)

And another poem that I really liked was the last one. It's honestly true.
THIS BRIDGE

This bridge will only take halfway there
To those mysterious lands you long to see;
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fairs
And moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me and share
The twisting trails and wondrous worlds I've known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there--
The last few steps you'll have to take alone.

So yeah, you should definitely read A Light in the Attic! Doesn't matter how old you are, there's always going to be a poem in here that will appeal to you.

Now I'm off to read I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore! It's so engaging!

Ta~


pointy.star

No comments:

Post a Comment